ADVANCED WORKSHOP On Weed Mapping as a Tool in Plant Ecology and Weed Management
On Weed Mapping as a Tool in Plant Ecology and Weed Management
This event is organized under the auspices of Agricultural University of Athens (AUA) in cooperation with European Weed Research Society (EWRS), Weed Mapping Working Group and Czech University of Life Sciences, Prague.
16 - 18 September 2019
Venue: Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania (MAICH)
Crete, Greece http://confer.maich.gr/
Arrival date on September 15th, departure date on September 19th.
We are pleased to give you some general information on the “Advanced Workshop on Weed Mapping as a Tool in Plant Ecology and Weed Management” which will also regularly appear on the working group web site: http://www.ewrs.org/weedmapping/default.asp. You are invited to express your interest by sending your registration via the web site: https://confer.maich.gr/registrations/weed_2019.
- The aims of the Advanced workshop are, PhD and Post doc students, experienced “weed,
“plant ecology”, “GIS” scientists and a limited number of professionals,
- to create a forum where they will be involved exchanging results, experiences, and information on the technical and scientific progress in weed mapping science and in the innovative mapping tools as part of digital farming and
- to establish collaboration based on new contacts and networks
- Scientific programme
The advanced workshop aims to be informal and so stimulate as much discussion as possible among participants. We will combine plenary scientific sessions with oral and poster presentations, practical training on the field using novel tools in weed mapping and training in class on weed maps production using software and geodatabase. Below is the list of topics:
- Phytosociology and weed science
- Spatial issues in weed distribution and weed shifts
- Novel detection tools in weed mapping
- Mapping of invasive weeds / rare weeds
- Data processing
- Spatial interpolation, geostatistics and regional mapping
- Advances in precision weed mapping. Automatic systems for weed monitoring
- Transfer of field data into available software and databases
- State-of-the-art of SDSS (spatial decision support systems)
Professor Falia Economou (firstname.lastname@example.org), Agricultural University of Athens
Dr. Hansjoerg Kraehmer (Kraehmer-Hofheim@t-online.de), Former EWRS President
Michaela Kolarova (email@example.com), Assistant Professor, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague
Dimitra Doulfi MSc Agronomist, Agricultural University of Athens firstname.lastname@example.org
- How to reach Chania and the Conference center: http://confer.maich.gr/info/travel.html
Chania is a famous holiday resort with various options to reach from European countries. Please check the connections at your travel agencies and airlines.
Scholarships for young weed scientists:
Scholarships will be available for MSc, PhD students (after evaluation from the Organizing Committee). Candidate should submit, the abstract, a cv and a letter of support from the supervisor clearly stating agreement to provide matching funds. Application should be e-mailed with the abstract to the organizer committee. The scholarships will be awarded according to the EWRS rules.