The Exchange of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Agricultural University of Athens and the Community of Strefiou, of the Ancient Olympia Municipality
The Rector of the Agricultural University of Athens, Professor Spyridon Kintzios and the President of the Community of Strefiou, Mrs Athanasia Kourva, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), on Monday, the 31st of May 2021, at the AUA Rector’s Office, with the aim to contribute, by undertaking common actions, to the new roles performed by agriculture, such as production, processing, trading and services, which are in a state of development, along with the novel means, like biotechnology, automatic application of rules and biological systems, network technologies and so on, in order to increase productivity, inasmuch quality levels, hygiene and products safety, implementing closely a productive procedure that respects the environment. That Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) has a five- year- duration, with extension possibilities.
On the one hand, the Rector of the Agricultural University of Athens, Professor Spyridon Kintzios, has highlighted that “the University having an over a century history, as well as performing its actions throughout the country, shall conduce to the strengthening and improvement of the local, rural society, taking all the appropriate steps, besides making the best of the know-how of the development of effective agricultural advice”.
On the other hand, the President of the Community of Strefiou, Mrs Athanasia Kourva, has mentioned that, “The largest part of the people living in the area is engaged in the agricultural sector. This in turn, makes agricultural activities acquire vital significance for a fair standard of living of the population. The importance of the agricultural sector in the local economy, led us, as a Local Government, to getting initiatives and actions, like the agreement with the Agricultural University of Athens, with the purpose to strongly support the local advantages, providing the maximum benefits for the local community, too”.
The particular Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is breaking new ground, laying also sound foundations for actions, described, as follows:
- The establishment of cooperation in all domains, sharing common educational, scientific, research and administrative interest, in view of excellence and improvement of the knowledge base of both communities,
- Participation of both associate partners in any information and updating communication actions, including those related to education, training and research, to the extent possible, based on the rules into effect,
- The development and support of collaboration and network establishment between the individual units, offices and/or committees of both bodies, in addition to the most effective use of the existing infrastructure and expertise in common,
- The creation of a framework that will enhance research in fields of special interest,
- The submission of common Research Proposals,
- The organisation of common scientific events, as well as activities pertaining to education, training, information and news communication, for example, Workshops, Open Days, Meetings, Seminars, Conferences, etc, with the possible participation of other Institutions and Research Stakeholders.
- The submission of joint Call for Proposals, for projects funding.